Saturday, November 22, 2008

An evening with Smashing Pumpkins

This is a picture of the in side of the Auditorium Theatre...beautiful.

I love the Pumpkins.  I've seen them 3 times in Texas back in the mid and late 90s.  That's when they were good.  That's before Billy Corgan became such a rockstar, drama queen.  He's a genius musically.  But there's something to be said when 2 of your former band mates did not return when the band was "re-united".  It's not even like D'Arcy Wretzky and James Iha are up to anything.  Billy must be a pill to work with.  He even took over James Iha's predilection for wearing dresses!  This must be too Single White Female for James.

The Pumpkins were never the band that had fans who danced in the aisles unlike some bands (as mentioned by the BF).  WTF, it's all melancholy and pensive lyrics with fucking awesome music.  The fans sat in 1996 Erwin Center, University of Texas at Austin.  A lot of the fans were sitting through some songs last night.  They crossed their arms and enjoyed the music and show with a frown in 1996 and 2008.  The world is a Vampire.  But that's also because WE'RE 12 years older now.  The dude sitting behind me yelled like crazy.  I had to wipe spit off my arm a few times as he called Billy a "little Bitch."  Apparently, a guy in the row in front of us SSHHed the guy next to me.  Come on, this isn't an evening with Yo Yo Ma.

Billy, you didn't even give us an encore.  I know you love to be loved and Adored.  But we clapped and shit for you.  AND YOU NEVER CAME BACK ON STAGE.  You suck for that.

NEVERTHELESS, the music is still awesome.  I sang every lyric I knew.  And these are the lyrics learned before the Internet.  I still have the copy of they lyrics to Siamese Dream that I sent a SASE to the fan club in 1994 to get.  I listened to that album every day in high school and college, then about once a week after that for about 2 years.  I still think Pisces Iscariot is superior the the pink Mellon Collie disc.  My freakin email in college has "Sandoz" which I took from Pisces.  

Your Mayonaise last night was awesome.  Loved it along with the version in Vieuphoria.

No comments: