Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Working last night

Just woke up an hour ago after working a crazy, busy overnight shift. Although I am new and may not do things as smoothly as other nurses, I don't think lack of experience did me in last night. My 4 patients had a lot going on that had to be done every hour on the hour.

At one point, I really believed the only thing that could help me feel better was if I just let my bladder loose and pee on me. Fetal position or sitting in a ball rocking back and forth would have been so counter productive. At least, I can wet myself standing up and still take care of my patients. Alas, I didn't but was tempted.

I think we should have the hospital olympics...Give prizes to the fastest in:
1) Putting on PPE (protective personal equipment) for patients on any sort of contact isolation
2) Drawing blood from a PICC line
3) An obstacle course in hauling a big-ass computer, in a room packed with furniture, IV poles, and a snoring mom, in a dimly lit room.
4) Scanning barcode on patient nametags, scanning medication, and finding someone to co-sign something on computer that has a battery about to die.

No comments: