Tuesday, September 16, 2008

thoughts and more thoughts

Limp is gone.  Thighs still sore.  Everything A-OK.
I'm out at the tea shop studying for my first pathophysiology test.  Perfect time to process Sunday's experience.
I talked to a few friends and strangers about the race.
Sunday had the same extreme weather conditions as last year's Chicago Marathon.  Although, I will take the rain and 60 degrees over the water-less sauna of last October.  
My running shorts stayed noticeably dry on the part of LSD heading toward Chicago.  After the turn on LSD toward the finish line (but not anywhere near it) I clearly remember when I said, "oh shit, I have water running down my legs.  Oh shit, that is from my ass!"  
To match with my lack of training, I wore a cotton hat from my BF.  Ironically, it is stitched with "Life is Good."  ...ok, at least I was trying to be positive.  You could see water dripping from the hat bill, but no rain over my eyes!  See, cotton is fine..it's can't breath well, but who cares if it's pouring rain!
 I made good but disgusting use of the rain coating my hands.  When I felt kinda parched, I would just wet my whistle with my hand. Forget the chapstick with sunblock.  There wasn't sun to block.  

Another thing that made a difference was the song list in my head.
Superstar - Lupe Fiasco
I'm the Man Who Loves You - Wilco
Feel Good Inc - Gorrillaz
Lots of The Killers:
All these things that I've Done
Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf
Who Let You Go?  
(Especially:  "Someone must have loved you
Not the way that I do...
You're missing what I'm trying to say
Ain't nothing getting in my way...) 
The Ballad of Michael Valentine


No comments: