Monday, June 09, 2008

Unaccustomed Earth


This is a really good book. It's depressing as hell, but you can't help but keep reading. Very beautiful writing. It's a series of short stories that would make great longer stories. She know just where to end things and make you ache and want more to read. Like all her other books, It made me feel so guilty for not calling my immigrant parents more often. The first story in the book made me call my dad. The last 3 stories were the best. WTF. No happy ending in sight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sold me on it. I'm going to read it. You know how Asians love to constantly feel guilty.

Santos + Martin said...

Maybe that is why I love her stuff. It's like going to Confession. You feel like shit but you call your folks and you feel less bad.