Sunday, April 22, 2007

H-Town vs. Chi-Town

So I grew up in Houston but moved away to Austin for college and stuff before tasting its nighlife. Last night was my first club experience in Houston. And the first time to see the revamped Downtown. Downtown was NOT the place to go when when I lived here. Venue was a nice looking club/lounge (http://www.venuehouston.com/). Lots of asian people, sticking together like a bowl of rice. Not use to that. I have to say we party very differently in Chicago and in Austin. Too many people driving drunk in Houston. If the city were smart, they'd have breathalizers at the exit of every parking garage or on the entrance ramps of the surrounding highways. A complete tool decided to floor it in the parking garage last night...luckily he hit the plastic cones instead of the concrete wall. A fight broke out just outside of Venue just as we were leaving. It was like high school and Maury Pouvich at the same time. Wonder if they figured out who the BD is or isn't. I've never feared being out at closing time in Austin. There is peace and order at Magnolia Cafe and Starseeds. And the only things you see in my neighborhood in Chicago after bars and clubs close are half eaten hotdogs from The Weiner Circle, burritos, or puke. I'm cautious when I walk home in Chicago after going out, but it's not the same sort of fear I felt in Houston.

No comments: